Monday 22 November 2010

22-11-10, South Ferriby, Lincolnshire.

I had an extra day off after working last week and I had a choice of where to go. Rutland Water held Lesser Yellowlegs, Smew, Grey Phalarope and Long-tailed Duck. There was also a Rough-legged Buzzard in North Lincolnshire. It was a bit late in the year to worry about increasing the year list so there was only one choice and that was the lifer. I arrived at dawn and parked opposite a dog and cat kennels overlooking lots or arable land and a cement works. There weather was not the nicest with lots of showers but after an hour it started to brighten up. Another hour later and there was no sign so I went for a small drive west were I found a lane that went down to a bridge. I drove down it checking the fields in case it was feeding on the ground. Still no luck so it was back to were a began. After three hours of looking with no results I headed back down the motorways. Birds noted were Wren, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Curlew, Blackbird, Great Tit, skiens of Pink-footed Geese (year tick), Kestrel, Pied Wagtail, Long-tailed Tit, Robin, Carrion Crow, Pheasant, Wood Pigeon, Fieldfare, Linnet and Blue Tit. Oh well, its proberbly better to go and dip rather than not go at all.

22-11-10, Cannock Chase - Rifle Range.

The chase has been throwing up some nice birds recently so I picked up the dog and went hunting. Around the rifle range a Great Grey Shrike and a Black Redstart had been present the previous day so this was the place to have a good walk around. I noted Magpie, Carrion Crow, Raven, Goldcrest, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Pheasant, Long-tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Wood Pigeon, Jay, Treecreeper and Yellowhammer. No sign of either bird today. Time for tea and cake.

22-11-10, Cannock Chase - Marquis Drive.

Its nice hear. Seating, shelter, feeding station and a cafe for a cup of tea and a bit of cake. Not many birds though, I noted Carrion Crow, Magpie, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Bullfinch, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Wood Pigeon, Greenfinch and Goldfinch.

I was getting a bit tired now so it was home time but I decided to have a quick drive-thru of Whitemoor Haye.

22-11-10, Whitemoor Haye.

I was going to mainly concentrate on the wildfowl on the quarry pool but, to begin with, I headed for the swans. I noted Black-headed Gull, Magpie, Starling, Carrion Crow, Robin, pheasant, Blackbird, Mute Swan 228, and Lapwing. On to the quarry pool and the I added 33 Mallard, 70 Wigeon, 62 Pochard, 14 Teal, 4 Great Crested Grebe, 1 male Pintail, 15 Tufted Duck, 5 Goldeneye, 1 Redshank, Canada Geese, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Buzzard, Linnet, Kestrel and Blue Tit.

a bit of a mixed weekend really, the high of the Pied-billed Grebe, the low of the Rough-legged Buzzard, and who knows about the Laughing Gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment