Saturday 15 January 2011

15-1-11, Chasewater CP.

Tuesday evening I attended the Lichfield RSPB indoor meeting where a chap gave a talk on Turkey - the place not the birds. It was a very enjoyable evening. Someone said a drake Smew was at Chasewater. Aaaaaargh. Would it stay. It was present Friday so first thing I was at Chasewater to get my first Smew in two years. I was on the south shore for 08.00, just about light enough to see and within ten minutes I had my quarry, a superb drake Smew (year). Just a stunning bird. I had to be in Lichfield by 10.00 to get to the bank so it was a twitch and ditch. Other birds seen were Mute Swan, Black-headed Gull, Canada Geese, Coot, Goldeneye, Carrion Crow, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Jackdaw, Robin, Wood Pigeon, Great Tit, Magpie and Blackbird.

15-1-11, Stubbers Green.

As I saw the Smew early I decided to pop down to the gull capital before heading into town. I dont really know the best time to come but pretty today was not one of them. Birds noted were Tufted Duck, Canada Geese, Mallard, Jackdaw, Pochard, Black-headed Gull, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Coot, lesser Black-backed Gull and Great Crested Grebe.

15-1-11, Whitemoor Haye.

It was mid afternoon before I finished doing things so I grabbed the dog and headed for a walk around Whitemoor. Whilst walking around I started noticing things were disappering. More later. Birds noted were Robin, Black-headed Gull, Starling, Lapwing, Carrion Crow, Pied Wagtail, Magpie, Little Owl (year - back in its usual tree), Blackbird, 204 Mute Swan, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Chaffinch, Jackdaw, Fieldfare, Sparrowhawk, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Canada Geese, Wood Pigeon and Linnet. Around the quarry pool I added Teal, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Goldeneye, Great and Blue Tit.
Back to my observations and what was missing was the hedges. a couple of diggers are down there cleaning out all of the ditches - a good job. But this good job has turned bad as any tree of bush near the ditches is also going. the bush by the bend where the Corn Buntings song from now lies in a heap in the field. say no more. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment