Saturday 10 September 2011

4-9-11, Whitemoor Haye (am)

Its another mad time at the moment at work so birding is patchy at the moment. Saturday 3rd was WICAC day (waterways industry course angling championships). British Waterways came 4th from 12 teams so not too bad, I was 27th out of 50+ entries so, again, not bad. I should have been going to Chatsworth today for the annual game fair but I was knackered and even had a lie in but I got down to Whitemoor eventually and had a walk around. Birds noted at the quarry pool were 10 Great Crested Grebe, Swallow, 28 Tufted Duck, Robin, Mallard, Pied Wagtail, 4 Greenshank, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wren, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 3 Common Sandpiper and Woodpigeon. Whooppee. Onto the lanes and I added Stock Dove, Tree Sparrow, Moorhen, Reed Bunting, Corn Bunting, Kestrel, Little Owl, Buzzard, Dunnock, Yellowhammer, Starling, Blue Tit, Skylark, Wheatear, Great Tit, Collared Dove, Rook, Canada Geese, Magpie, Pheasant, Blackbird, Grey Partridge and Goldfinch.

4-9-11, Whitemoor Haye (pm).

The one visit was going to be it for me for the day and I sat down to crack open a bottle of beer when the pager alerted me to 2 Curlew Sandpipers at Whitemoor. Hot off the heels of the Black-necked Grebe, this would be another site list. I put my opened beer bottle down, grabbed the dog and headed for the quarry pool. The Tame Valley birder was on site and had found the 2 birds and within seconds of arriving had added Curlew Sandpiper to the Whitemoor Haye site list (well done Tom). Other birds noted were 7 Greenshank, Canada Geese, Black Headed Gull, 3 Ringed Plover, Swallow, Mallard, 13 Great Crested Grebe, kestrel, Tufted Duck, 4 Common Sandpiper, Woodpigeon, Yellow Wagtail, 2 Sparrowhawks, 1 Ruff, Goldfinch, Tree Sparrow, 1 Ruddy Duck, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Buzzard, Magpie, Pochard, Mute Swan, House Martin, 1 (although 2 had been seen earlier) Dunlin, Lapwing, Linnet and Magpie.

No comments:

Post a Comment