Sunday 10 November 2013

3-11-13

With a full days work on the Saturday it left me just Sunday morning for a bit of birding. A Dusky warbler had been present at Marsh lane NR and was still present on the Saturday so as it was only a 40 minute drive I was off.  I had only been to here once before, when Stone Curlew was found and it was a lifer for me then, and I was surprised where it was as it is on the road I use to go to Hatton where we have offices and where I will be working from in my new job quite a bit, I will definitely be sorting out a permit for more visits in the longer days.
Back to today and I joined about six other birders looking for the bird and within one minute the bird was calling.  I had not done my homework and didn't have a clue of the call but a birder soon put me right and the bird was being quite vocal with lots of tick sounds.  The first hour was quite good, weather wise, with very little wind and as well as being vocal the bird was mobile but, at times, showy, enough for an ID but not a photo but who cares about that.  Dusky Warbler goes into my little book and Marsh Lane is a site I will hopefully be visiting a little more often.
Whitemoor Haye.
After the fun of a twitch I got back down to the nitty gritty and spent a couple of hours checking out the local patch.
Birds noted were 8 Mute Swan, 11 Wigeon, 31 Tufted Duck, 24 Coot, 211 Golden Plover. 679 Lapwing, 27 Stock Dove, 2 Sparrowhawks and several Tree Sparrows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment