Thursday 27 March 2014

26-3-14, Ladywalk NR

Today I had a site visit in Bath before going to our Gloucester office.  On the pager I noticed the Bittern showing at Ladywalk.  Now last year I had a nightmare with Bitterns.  In February I went to Hams Wall and heard them booming but no sight and I then in May I was at Lakenheath where there were loads booming but I saw none.  I was just never going to see one last year.  On the way home I decided I would have enough time to visit Ladywalk NR before the sun went down and so with a good trip back I arrived at the reserve at about 17.20.  A ten minute walk I was in a hide overlooking the feeders (sorry don't know any names) and within minutes  was watching a beautiful Bittern hunting in the reeds.  I was well made up.  Also noted were 5 Goosander, 2 Oycs and several Wigeon, Teal, Gadwall and Shoveler plus a constantly calling Green Woodpecker and a nice Willow Tit.

No comments:

Post a Comment