Wednesday 2 April 2014

28-3-14, Middleton Hall RSPB

Having not been here since it became an open RSPB site I decided to head over straight after work but guess who never checked the forecast.  As I arrived I could hear thunder in the distance and many people were heading for the car park as I was heading the other way.  If you have not yet been to this reserve well you have to enjoy walking.  There is a bit of birding on the way with birds such as Lesser Redpolls and regular birds visiting the feeders and then  the chance of anything on the good walk along the woods.  Over the canal and bang, wetland, reeds and muddy areas galore, this has great potential and I was looking forward to a bit of decent birding however that thunder was following me along with some dark clouds.  Eventually In came across a screen over looking scrapes and muddy islands with plenty of bird species.  This is where I spent most of my time keeping as dry as possible and trying not to get hit by some fantastic lightening.  Birdwise nothing special, plenty of wildfowl - Gadwall, Teal, Wigeon, Shelduck plus a handful of waders.  Little Ringed Plover and Jack Snipe had been recently reported but nothing seen, just Redshank, Dunlin and Ringed Plover.  Not a bad site but the only hide is miles away and the screens not very tripod friendly and of course no toilets.  Why do RSPB not like toilets?  Compost toilets are a brilliant green way to provide relief and friendly for the environment.  I doubt I will be bringing my mother, walk all of the way to the pools and then have to pop back for the loo.  Rubbish.
A site I will definitely try again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment