Tuesday 23 August 2011

23-8-11, Whitemoor Haye.

No birding over the weekend due to fishing matches, Birdfair and beer drinking so as it was acracking evening weather wise I had no option but to go birding. The last few visits I have been keen to find Whinchat. They are returning from their breeding grounds to their wintering destinations and the last three years I have found Whinchat at Whitemoor. I started at the uarry lake and noted Robin, Greenfinch, Jackdaw, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Swallow, Carrion Crow, Black Headed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 30 Tufted Duck (one with two young, there was a discussion on Birdforum about breeding Tufties and for the first time they have been noted in several areas around Staffs, Whitemoor Haye can be added now), 14 Pochard, Yellow Wagtail, 23 Lapwing (+25 flew over later), Buzzard, 8 Great Crested Grebe, 32 Mallard, 3 Greenshank, Starling, Wren, Pied Wagtail and 2 Common Sandpiper. On to the lanes and I added Tree Sparrow, 2 Little Owl, Common Whitethroat, 3 Whinchat, Long-tailed Tit, Yellowhammer, Dunnock, Pheasant and Grey Partridge calling. I was well made up with finding not one Whinchat but at least three. I saw 2 females/juveniles then another bird turned out to be a scruffy male. Cracking. I did manage a photo of one of the females through my phone, its not great but might try and upload it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment