Thursday 7 January 2016

2016, New Year, New Attitude!!

Well well well, its been sometime since I last posted on this blog and I have decided to have yet another go.
In the last couple of years I have been birding and I have been tweeting, just not been blogging but I fancy another go so here we are.  If there are any readers out there, let me know by leaving a comment, I know I will not be doing it for nothing then.
Last year was pretty disappointing on a birding front but that was down to circumstance, I received the keys for my house on August 1st, a lit of hard work had to be done so the birding was put to the side along with biking, fishing and beer consumption however it sure has been worth it as I am writing this in my lounge watching my TV and cooking my dinner. Yeah baby.
This year I intend to beat last years totals which were three lifers and about 180 bird for the year so where better than Norfolk to start off a new year.

1st January 2016.
With the forecast looking okay for a couple of days the hotels were booked and I was on the way to Titchwell RSPB when I saw my first bird for the year and I cannot complain with what it was, a lovely Barn Owl near Norfolk Lavender centre, Heacham (Hunstanton).  On arrival at Titchwell RSPB at 07.00 yes, it was dark, but birds were singing but they couldn't be counted as I have a rule for the first bird of the year has to be seen that is for one bird, a Cetti's Warbler.  It is possible to be three feet from a small bush with the bird singing away for ages and the bird would not be seen so, in my rule book, I don't have to see it.
Birds seen included Marsh Harrier, Barn Owl, Avocets, Pink-footed Geese, Water Rail, Pintail, Water Pipit, Rock Pipit, Peregrine, Common Scoter and Chiffchaff.
I was heading for Norwich but news came through of a Rough-legged Buzzard at Choseley but being there 30 mins with no sign for an hour I headed off.
My main destination was Stubbs Milll fro the harrier/crane roost.  After seeing a Barn Owl near to Hickling Broad, Stubbs Mill saw plenty of Marsh Harriers, 2 Common Cranes and a female Hen Harrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment