Thursday 7 January 2016

2nd January.

Next morning the plan was to go to Buckingham Marsh RSPB for geese however reports from the previous day said they were very distance and with some showing near Cley I decided to take the risk of finding these and so instead I decided to go to Sea Palling for a Cattle Egret.  This was my big mistake of the holiday as I didn't know where Sea Palling was but thought it was near Cromer when in fact it was the next village along from Hickling where Stubbs Mill is.  What was even more painful was that the bird was not seen again since January 1st, gutted.  That was one of he birds I really wanted from the trip.  Hey ho, that's birding!!!
Well it was off to Cley to look for the Bean Geese, well Kelling to be exact, but on the way I fancied |Sheringham and was delighted to see Purple Sandpiper as well as Red-throated Diver, Gannet and Fulmar.
Now for these Bean Geese at Kelling and after an drive around the village I soon found a field full of Pink-footed Geese and eventually found 4 Bean Geese.  Nice. 
Next, with my digs at Hunstanton for the night, I went for the Rough-legged Buzzards once again as they had been reported showing well only minutes ago.  Once on site I was soon on one of the birds and was treated to a Barn Owl too.  I got talking to another birder and he told me about the Twite and Shorelarks at Thornham.  These were too good to miss.
The Twite showed brilliantly I the car park, the Shorelarks also showed brilliantly but were a bloody good walk and the only time in three days I got slightly wet. Worth it though.
I still had about an hours daylight so decided to head to Hunstanton to watch night fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment