Tuesday 20 July 2010

20-7-10, Chasewater CP.

I was planning on coming here tonight to try and see if the Franklins Gull was playing ball. I got home from work and, as usual, my mate came round for our nightly stomp when I had a message from Mr Local Birder (I thank you). The bird was present. Doh. The 4 mile stomp turned into a 1.5 mile hike before heading for Chasewater. I arrived at 18.40 and there were a number of birders present but not all looking in the same direction. This usually means bad news, and I was right. The bird was flushed along with a load of Lesser Black-backed Gulls and it had not been relocated. I hung around for an hour before the heavens opened. Other birds noted were Cormorant, Goldfinch, Mute Swan, Common Tern, Coot, Mallard, Great Crested Grebe, Ringed Plover, lesser Black-backed Gulls, Tufted Duck, Lapwing, Canada Geese, Carrion Crow, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Black-headed Gull, Moorhen, Swift and Magpie. To be honest the birds were so distant I would have had trouble picking out the small changes from Black Heads and Franlklins, I was reliant on someone else finding it and then looking down a more powerful scope to see the differences.
Theres always tonight......and tomorrow night....and the night after...........

No comments:

Post a Comment