Friday 30 July 2010

26-7-10, Whitemoor Haye.

I was just settling down to watch Emmerdale when I recieved a text message from a West Brom birder telling me a Grey Phalarope had been reported at Whitemoor Haye. BLOODY HELL. I zoomed down there and started scanning the main lake. A good half an hours scanning produced no such bird. Was it on the other pit which we can't get to? Had it flown off? Was it there in the first place? Aftyer three quarters of an hour I decided it was not present. Birds which were were Lapwing, Common Sandpiper about 8, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Mute Swan, Swallow, Yellowhammer, Carrion Crow, Wood Pigeon, Skylark, Linnet, Pied Wagtail, Herring Gull, Starling, Goldfinch, Magpie and Swifts.
Its funny because not long ago I was having a scan over the lake and, watching the juvenile Black-headed Gulls, I remeber thinking that these look a bit like a Phalarope. Maybe the original observer fell into that little trap.

The Franklins Gull is still making an appearance at Chasewater. I came off call on Friday morning and was thinking of going to Chasewater Friday evening after packing however the weather was a tad damp to say the least so twas not possible. Could it stay till middle of next week? Surely not!!!

I am writing this on Saturday morning, I am about to set off on a mini golf break in Scotland. Birding will be proberbly non existant but I will take my stuff up just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment