Monday 26 July 2010

25-7-10, Croxall GP.

I decided to give Whitemoor Haye a break and head a bit further down the road to Croxall. With a few decent waders showing around the Midlands, this is a good a place as anywhere. I headed up to the Main Hide and noted Blue Tit, Wren, Wood Pigeon, Goldfinch, Magpie, Coot Lapwing, Great Crested Grebe, Reed Warbler, Oystercatcher, Canada Geese, Mute Swan, Carrion Crow, Tufted Duck, Mallard and Sedge Warbler. From the hide I was expecting a few waders and ducks but as I approached thew hide all I saw were two fishermen. That was that. the only birds noted from the hide were a Blackbird, a Common Tern and a couple of Ringed Plover near the hide. Feeling a bit disappointed I headed to the east side and added Grey Heron, Cormorant, Stock Dove, Lomg-tailed Tit, Stock Dove, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Sand Martin, Lesser Black-backed Gull and a Willow Warbler.

25-7-10, Whitemoor Haye.

Yep I couldn't keep away. I was getting tired though after no rest for ages. As I was going to town later I had a visit to the pool followed by a drive around the lanes. Birds noted at the pool were Mute Swan, Yellowhammer, Black-headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Swallow, Wood Pigeon, Greenfinch, Lapwing, Pied Wagtail, Mallard, Blue Tit, Wren, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Goldfinch, a family of Lesser Whitethroats that showed very well, Yellow Wagtail and Linnet. Birds noted around the lanes were Cormorant, Common Whitethroat, Corn Bunting, Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch, Robin, Reed Bunting and Swift.

25-7-10, Home.

I was outside my home at about 21.15 sorting out tools for Monday when out of the corner of my eye a big bird flew over the factory next door. I turned around to see the bird fly and settle in one of the large trees in the garden. It looked like a Tawny Owl. It couldn't be, not in the middle of Alrewas. Having said that I thought I heard one a few nights ago but I concluded that I was hearing things. I shouted my mom, creppt up to the tree and sure enough there was a Tawny Owl sitting in the pine trees. Superb. A garden tick and a year tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment