Friday 3 January 2014

2-1-14, Kick Off.

After spending a day watching garbage on TV I was fit and gagging to get out and I decided to spend the day down the usual gravel pits to kick start my year list.  I have made no new year resolutions for birding this year, just going to do what I can and bloody well enjoy it.

Home.
Whilst getting my bike ready I managed to sort out a few year ticks including Jackdaw and Black headed Gull.  Easy birding.

North of Alrewas.
On route to the first pit I noted the usual 4 Red-legged Partridge along with about 400 restless Lapwing.

Alrewas GP.
A steady walk around and I noted 80+ Lapwing over, 39 Tufted Duck, 9 Coot, 12 Teal, 14 Goldeneye, 1 Smew (redhead) and 2 Wigeon.

National Arboretum.
Pretty quiet yet again.  Winter is usually very good here with Brambling, Redpoll and Siskin recorded last year.  Nothing like this this year.  I did note a Mistle Thrush and loads of Fieldfares.

Junction Pit.
Once again, pretty rubbish. In the past this has been excellent for Snipe and also noted was Whooper Swan.  Today a Bullfinch was the only bird of note.

Croxall GP.
Bird noted included 78 Mute Swan, 114 Mallard, 80+ Lapwing, 3 Goldeneye, 329 Teal, 162 Tufted Duck, a handful of Wigeon (forgot to write dowm how many I counted!!!!!), 94 Pochard and 3 Little Grebes.

Whitemoor Haye.
A vast chunk of the afternoon was spent riding around and around the lanes as well as checking out the pool.  Birds noted included 2 Goosander flying over, 16 Tufted Duck, 2 Goldeneye, 23 Coot, 79 Wigeon, several Yellowhammer and Tree Sparrow, 2 Little Owl, 35 Golden Plover, 400+ Lapwing and 1 Redshank.

Home.
Back home just before dusk and was having a go at photographing House Sparrows out of the back window when a cracking Sparrowhawk flew down and perched on a nearby garden ornament, a full frame shot but the camera and to focus and the bird flew.  Bugger, it would have been a cracker.   
Thats all I got folks!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment