Sunday 13 February 2011

12-2-11, Home.

I was a bit unsure about todays biring. I was involved in a car, transit and lorry crash on Friday morning. I was the innocent party as for some reason a car started to pass a lorry on a bend as I was passing the lorry and the connection was made. Fortunately we were all ok and this morning the expected aches and pains did not materialise. I had my brecky and was just messing around when I had a look outside at the feeders and the usual House Sparrows looked a bit different. I looked again, grabbed my moms bins and on the feeders were four Lesser Redpolls. A great addition to the garden and year list for me and my moms first Redpolls. With a couple of House Sparrows on one feeder and the four Redpols on the other there was a great size comparison.

Whitemoor Haye.

I was looking forward to getting round Whitemoor pain free and get some birding done and what a morning it was. The sun was shining although the wind was chilly but the birds were reacting to the sun with many in song. Birds noted were Tree Sparrow, Wren, Robin, Woodpigeon, Grey Heron, Skylark, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Blackbird, Red-legged Partridge 1, Corn Bunting 3 and in full rattle, Magpie, Reed Bunting, Dunnock, Pheasant, Blue Tit, Grey Partridge 1, Linnet, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer, Mute Swan 101, Buzzard, Fieldfare, Stock Dove, Great Tit, Starling, Kestrel, Song Thrush, Black-headed Gull, Long-tailed Tit, Cormorant 1, and Lesser Black-backed Gull. I then had a look on the quarry pool and added Mallard 35, Wigeon, Goldeneye 50, Tufted Duck 48, Teal 45, Pochard 159, Oystercatcher 1, Lapwing 4 and 6 Curlew. A reet pleasure to get round there this morning.

Albert Village Lake

I was targeting a couple of birds for the rest of the days birding and the first one was a Glaucous Gull. Its been a few years since my last one and was really keen to get one asap and this was the place. I arrived on site and headed towards a group of gulls on the water, positioning myself so I could watch them without the bright sun affecting me. Caspian and Yellow-legged Gulls had also recently made an appearance and I was going to try and have a go at thses too but I forgot to put my books in the car so there was no chance of getting them Birds I noted were Green Woodpecker, Canada Geese, Robin, Woodpigeon, Coot, Mute Swan, Black-headed Gull, Common Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Skylark, Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Snipe, Little Grebe, Tufted Duck, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Dunnock, Glaucous Gull and Great Tit. I was on site for an hour before the Glaucous Gull turned up and a smart 3rd winter.

Cannock Chase - Rifle Range.

After going home for some lunch I decided to watch the Man Utd - Man City match as my back was a touch sore. As it ended I decided to go to Cannock Chase as the Great Grey Shrike had been showing in the morning. I arrived on site and there seemed to be quite a lot of people around, lots of cars and signposts for an event. I parked up and headed for the shooting butts when I saw loads of tents around the area. There was no chance of the bird being around the shooting butts and I didn't know where the trig point was so I turned around after 100 yards and decided to head elsewhere. I did note Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit and Magpie.

Chasewater CP.

I ended the day at an almost waterless Chasewater for the gull roost. An Iceland Gull had been roosting here for a few weeks now so this was my last target for the day. I sat myself down my the little castle and started the process of going through the gulls. Yawn. Birds noted were Canada Geese, Mute Swan, Mallard, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Goosander, Pied Wagtail, Lapwing, Goldeneye, Common Gull, possible Yellow-legged Gull, Carrion Crow, Wood Pigeon, Chaffinch and Great Black-backed Gull. The possible Yellow-legged Gull was on the far bank. The bird was showing yellowish legs and a light mantle than the black backs but darker than the Herring Gulls but it was at such a distance and the light was starting to fade I could not get good views. Again I also forgot my books so this will go down as unsure. I know what my homework is tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment