Sunday 6 February 2011

6-2-11, Whitemoor Haye.

Saturday was a painful day but turned out to be very good, more later. With more painkillers first thing I headed out to Whitemoor and could hardly stand up the wind was that strong. I also could hardly hear anything as the wind roared past my face but this morning the birding took a bit of a back space, the main aim was to get walking again. With one crutch I hobblrd round and noted Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon, Tree Sparrow, Blackbird, Magpie, Black-headed Gull, Wren, Blue Tit, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Lapwing, redwing, Kestrel, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Starling, Fieldfare, Robin, Pied Wagtail, Canada Geese and Linnet. It took me two hours to get round and I was very glad to get back into the car. It can only have done my back good. On the way home I stopped off at the quarry pool and added Mallard, Wigeon, Pochard, Tufted Duck and nine Curlew.

Since I started birding I have always kept notes on each site and when. These are all printed up as well as kept on the computer using a database. One database I used was British Birds version 7. All of my popular sites were on there and I could add when necassary. With my new laptop version 7 would not work so I bought version 9. I downloaded it but it was basically very disappointing. Most of the bits from version 7 were gone, basically you had more pics and sound but thats it. After reading Blurred Birders account of Bird Journal I had a good look at that on Saturday morning, bought it, and spent most of Saturday and most of Sunday evening inputting my data. Its brilliant. I will put a link to Martyn's site and description but it is well worth getting it if you hanve not got a database yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment