Monday 26 December 2011

25-12-11, Whitemoor Haye.

My sister is a midwife and she worked Christmas Eve night so In was asked to disappear for the morning whilst she could get a few hours kip. No sweat. First stop Whitemoor Haye and around the pool area I noted Robin, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Pheasant, Blue Tit, Blackbird, Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Goldeneye, Wren, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Great Crested Grebe, Mute Swan, Woodpigeon, Black Headed Gull, Goldfinch, Tree Sparrow, Grey Heron, Cormorant and Lesser Black-backed Gull. Onto the lanes and I added Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Great Tit, Yellowhammer, Fieldfare, Chaffinch, Linnet, Canada Geese, Redwing, Dunnock, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Long-tailed Tit, Kestrel and Starling.
Most of the morning was taken up here and I was now on a short time scale so i decided to try and nail a couple of birds nearby, one for the year list and the other cause it has been quite showy.

Blithfield Reservoir.

A Black Redstart has been present for a few days and having missed one at Gailey and one near Belvide this was my chance. Due to xmas lunch not far away I only concentrated on looking for the redstart. I reached the bay pretty easily and then spent about an hour checking the two ditches and the fence all around but failed to find said bird. I eventually left, had a quick look around the causeway and then headed off. Birds I did see were Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Linnet, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, mallard, Black Headed Gull, Cormorant, lesser Black-backed Gull, Goldeneye, Wigeon, Fieldfare, Blackbird, Redwing, Coot, Lapwing, Greylag Geese and Great Crested Grebe.

Upper Longdon.

Last site of the day was a clear felled area just out of Upper Longdon where a Great Grey Shrike had been very showy recently. It was kind of on the way home,,,,ish so I went to have a look and it must have been a whole fifteen seconds when I found the bird perched on a large tree stump. I fired off a few photos before going home where I had a very nice dinner before having a long, long chat with Mr Jack Danials!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment