Tuesday 3 January 2012

1-1-12, Home.

Ok so its a new year and what a difference a year makes. This time last year I spent new years eve in a travellodge outside Kings Lynn before spending two days around north Norfolk, a crfacking way to spend the start of the year. This year I decided to stay local so before sunrise I took my car to Whitemoor Haye, parked it up, walked back home and had breakfast. whilst scoffing egg on toast I had one eye in the back garden for the first birds of 2012. Birds noted were Blackbird, House Sparrow, Great Tit, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Starling, Dunnock and Black Headed Gull.

Circa Alrewas.

Heading off to my first site and I added Blue Tit, Greenfinch, Magpie, Redwing, Long-tailed Tit, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Carrion Crow, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Yellohammer, Fieldfare, Cormorant and Song Thrush.

Alrewas GP.

Onto the first main site of the day and I had a slow walk to the far side of the lake. Birds noted on the way were Woodpigeon, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wren, Great Crested Grebe, Mallard, Blue Tit, Lapwing, Blackbird, Great Tit, Robin, Fieldfare, Song Thrush, Long-tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Pied Wagtail, Black Headed Gull, Redwing, Carrion Crow, Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Coot, Canada Geese, Pochard, Pheasant, Wigeon, Stock Dove, Little Egret, Goosander, Teal and a Sparrowhawk. Not too much wildfowl on the water, dont know if the fireworks had scared them off.

Junction Pit.

A bit of hunting and I have found a way from the pits to the back of the Junction Pit then I have the choice of entering the arboretum or walking around to the other side of the pit hopefully adding more birds. Birds noted were Pheasant, Wren, Fieldfare, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Cormorant, Tufted Duck, Mallard and Grey Heron. Still rubbish.

National Arboretum.

Naturally it is on through the arboretum as Junction Pit lies within its boundaries and birds noted here were Cormorant, Long-tailed Tit, Woodpigeon, Great Tit, Wren, Grey Heron, Redwing, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Pheasant, Canada Gees, Black Headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Mallard, Goosander, Tufted Duck, Chaffinch, Reed Bunting, Coot, Blackbird, Lapwing, Magpie, Little Egret, Fieldfare and a Little Grebe on the river.

Whitemoor Haye.

Onto good old Whitemoor Haye, hopefully the first of many visits this year and I started off around the lake. Birds noted were Dunnock, Robin, Fieldfare, Carrion Crow, 2 Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Lapwing, Redshank, Starling, Mallard, Black Headed Gull, Goldeneye, Wigeon and Lesser Black-backed Gull. On to the lanes and I added Magpie, Redwing, Wren, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Pheasant, 5 Corn Buntings including 3 calling males, Meadow Pipit, Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Linnet, Goosander and Chaffinch. Rather quiet around the patch but it was quite breezy and very chilly so I suppose the birds were taking shelter.

Circa Catton.

With Whitemoor not giving up much I decided to have a drive around the lanes hoping to pick up the odd year tick. I only managed Stock Dove, Carrion Crow and Kestrel, the latter one going towards the year list.

With Catton not being too fruitful I headed off to Croxall but as I got to the car park i noticed there was no room to park. Was there a mega in town?? Nope just loads of dog walkers!!!!!!!

I headed home, picked up my computer from my girlfriends house and saw a Coal Tit on her feeder in the back garden. Bonus. Then I went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment