Monday 25 October 2010

23-10-10, Llanfairfechan.

After getting my jobs done in the morning I was free to bird the afternoon. and I didnt have a clue where to go. I could blast over to Anglesey for a Glossy Ibis, or the Greast Orme for Lapland Buntings. As high tide was near I headed for Llanfairfechan, and excellent sea-watching area in the winter. I viewed from the promenade before walking west. Birds noted were Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Oystercatcher, Cormorant, Jackdaw, Great Crested Grebe, Great Black-backed Gull, Mute Swan, Mallard, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Blackbird, Purple Sandpiper, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Wren, Meadow Pipit and Lesser Black-backed Gull. Again not much but the Purple Sandpipers were a suprise. They were on my wanted list and I thought I would have had to scour the rocks at Rhos on Sea for them but when 8 of them flew past there was no need.

23-10-10, Glan Y Mor Ellan Nature Reserve.

From Llanfairfechan I walked west and kept going. dont know why. My intention was to go to Morfa Madryn nature reserve but I never got that far. I came across this nature reserve. It was basically a footpath in a figure of eight with the insides wetlands with lots of birds. A basic description but you can get the gist. I walked through the middle and back and noted Black-headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Oystercatcher, Starling, Wigeon, Mallard, Redshank, Little Egret, Curlew, Pintail, Teal, Shelduck, Meadow Pipit, Robin and Chaffinch. Not many but its a nice place.

23-10-10, Aber Valley.

I have seen this place in my guide to North Wales birding loads of times and fancied going here for ages. Now I had an excuse. I needed Dipper for the year and this was, apparently, a good place. It was a dodgy to the very top car park, very narrow roads and steep in places. when there though I went for a small walk around the base of Carneddau (I think thats what its called) before heading back and stopping frequently to check the river. Birds noted were Robin, Blackbird, Buzzard, Fieldfare, Carrion Crow, Goldfinch, Song Thrush, Wren, Dunnock, Black-headed Gull, Magpie, Jackdaw and Chaffinch. An interesting place and one I would like to visit when its good birding. No Dipper though.

23-10-10, River Clwyedog.

From a large valley to a tiny tributary of the River Clwyedog. I was off to see my friends were I was to spend the night and as i drove past this, barely 3 foot wide stream, I saw a Dipper in the stream. That will do nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment