Saturday 30 October 2010

30-10-10, Croxall GP.

I decided a bit of a change today and headed for Croxall first thing. Reason why in a bit. I was there for sunrise, waited until I could see then headed off into the reserve. I took a slow walk up to the hide but didn't go in. Then a walk on the east side before heading back to the main hide. A small stint in there then back to the car. Birds noted were Chaffinch, Wren, Carrion Crow, Robin, Magpie, Blackbird, Starling, Wood Pigeon, Long-tailed Tit, Goldfinch, Cormorant I took a rough count of these guys as most took off from the river with some landing in the reserve and the rest flying over, total 110, Dunnock, Redwing, Mallard, Grey Heron, Coot, Snipe, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Black-headed Gull, Jackdaw, Fieldfare, Pied Wagtail, Canada Geese, and about 200 Lapwing on the main side. Rook and Blue Tit only on the east side. Redshank 8, Dunlin 9, Teal, Shoveler 14, Reed Bunting, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Greylag Geese, Gadwall, Moorhen, Skylark, Mistle Thrush, 3 Goldeneye and Meadow Pipit from the main hide. Back to the car and I added Song Thrush, Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker and some Great Tits. A quality start to the day.
Unfortunately for the rest of the day it was working on the house and car MOT-ing. I did pop to Whitemoor Haye on the way to see if the Whooper Swan was with the Mutes but it wasn't at 10 am, however it turned up later.

30-10-10, Foremark Reservoir.

I decided to race to the gull roost to look for the Franklins Gull. As previously mentioned, I missed this bird at Chasewater a few months ago and I really needed another lifer for this year. As I was driving to the reservoir good news came through with the gull being seen at 15.00. As I arrived, bad news, it had flown off. Oh well here comes yet another wait. There was a fair few people on site. Whilst waiting I had a look what was around. Birds noted were Black-headed Gull, Great Crested Grebe, Buzzard, Cormorant, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Coot, Tufted Duck, Pied Wagtail, Grey Heron, Common Gull, Mallard, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Meadow Pipit, Kingfisher and Song Thrush. It was getting near 17.00 when someone shouted it was flying past the tower and within seconfds i was on to a nice FRANKLINS GULL, lifer 304 for me. I managed to get some digi-shots as the sun started to disappear and enjoyed the bird until I decided to head back. Nice.

The Franklins Gull can be seen with the dark hood, white ring (look hard) and the slightly darker scapulars than the Black-headed Gulls around.

The Foremark Reservoir gull roost below

No comments:

Post a Comment