Monday 25 October 2010

Upcoming news

I had to go back up to wales to do a few more jobs on the house but on this trip I had some time for a bit of birding. At the very beginning of the year I decided to let birds come to me and if I get themn for the year then great, if not then no worries. I have enjoyed the birding this year but my year list was looking a bit poor. 165 upto these visits. I would expect, with the amount of birding I do, to see 200 in the year so I am well down. I suppose missing a week in Norfolk does have an effect. The mission for these couple of days is to mop up a few I need in places I know can deliver.

22-10-10, Inner Marsh Farm RSPB

Arrived here spot on 09.00 as it opens. Nailed a bit of breakfast and then off along the path down to the hide. Lots of birds were encountered on the way, noting Rook, Jackdaw, Robin, Wren, Goldfinch and Chaffinch in the car park and Carrion Crow, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Lapwing, Linnet, Starling, Fieldfare, Greenfinch, Blue Tit and Magpie walking down to the hide. Once in the hide I set up in the far corner to the door and added Teal, Golden Plover, Grey Heron, Raven, 3 Curlew Sandpipers, Black-headed Gull, Shoveler, Pintail, Greylag Geese, Shelduck, Mallard, Gadwall, Coot, Canada Geese, Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff, Mute Swan, 2 Whooper Swans, Wigeon, Snipe, Moorhen, Pheasant, Dunnock, Wood Pigeon, Stock Dove, Buzzard, Kestrel, Redshank, Blackbird, Sparrowhawk, Jay and as I was just about to leave the hide a mgnificant ring-tailed Hen Harrier flew from over the hide across the number 2 pool casing chaos before heading away from the reserve. back up to the car park and I added Redwing, Long-tailed Tit and Pied Wagtail. A successsful visit with three year ticks but this is my second visit here on the trot without Water Rail. Whats occuring?

22-10-10, Point of Ayr RSPB.

High tide had just passed whilst the forty minute drive between Inner Marsh Farm and Talacre. I parked on the beach car park, knowing the water would not be coming in any more, and insteade of walking the long trek to the hide as the hide is no-more, I waalked along the beach as far as possible to the point and sea-watched from there. Birds noted were Cormorant, Black-headed Gull, Redshank, Shelduck, Sanderling, Skylark, Herring Gull, Meadow Pipit, Carrion Crow, Curlew, Great Crested Grebe, Little Egret, Common Gull and Lesser and Great Black-backed Gull. Not great but a year tick in the form of the Sanderling.


22-10-10, Mercury Industrial Estate.

A weird destination for the last site of the day. This is a large industrial area, the infrastructure was put in place ie the roads, but only half of the plots had been built on, the others left as rough land. Here is a favorite place for Short-eared Owls. A few years ago I had my first Richards Pipit here along with a few Seo's. Birds noted were Black-headed Gull, Starling, Kestrel, Swallow, Wood Pigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Herring Gull, Grey Heron, Dunnock, Robin, Pheasant, Chaffinch, 12 Mallards flew over, Blackbird, Blue Tit and Pied Wagtail. I was there an hour or so and as the light started to fade so it starting drizzling so no chance of any owls today.

No comments:

Post a Comment