Monday 5 August 2013

4-8-13, Thornton reservoir and local sites.

News broke of a Night Heron on a reservoir in Leistershire mid week but I had no chance of getting to see it due to work, hopefully it would stay.  I was up early Sunday morning and was on site for 06.30 and to my surprise I was on my own. I followed the site instructions and was soon down on the edge of the bay near to where the bird had been roosting however to my spires I rounded a corner and the bird was feeding in the mud in the bay.  I fired off a few photos before the bird got a bit too nervous and flew back to its regular perch for a preen.  I got it in the scope for a bit and had a good look before I left it to its own actions. A quality bird, my second lifer in 8 days and a bird which made up for the nearly bird at Atherstone last year which turned out to have been an escapee.
After that and after a bad night plus the weather forecast not being good I decided to chill out on a few local sites.
Whitemoor Haye.
Birds of note were 17 Mute Swan, 5 juvenile Shelduck, 3 Common Sands, 2 Oycs, 1 Grey Partridge, 2 Raven over, Yellow Wagtail and Tree Sparrow.
National Arboretumand Junction Pit produced nothing special.
As the river was a bit high after the rains there was not much wader activity on the river at Croxall reserve bar a Common Tern, Lapwing and a female Teal.
On to Alrewas GP and I noted 8 Lapwing, 6 Grey Heron, 24 Mallard, 256 Tufted Duck, 21 Mute Swan and 22 Great Crested Grebe.
After a snooze, women's Open golf and tea I headed back out to Whitemoor Haye after some showers hoping something had dropped in.  I noted 7 Common Terns including 2 juveniles, 5 juvenile Shelduck, 5 Common Sands, 2 Oycs, 1 Ringed Plover, Tree Sparrow, Common Whitethroat and Yellowhammer.  I also heard a bird that was perched in the small woodland opposite the quarry entrance so I went to find it but could not locate it even though it was quite vocal on occasions and quite loud.  I know quite a few calls but had never heard this but the call was loud,  reminded me of parakeets in London, and the call was not unlike a squeak out of a dogs toy. I have recorded it so will get some views off other birders.

No comments:

Post a Comment