Friday 20 August 2010

20-8-10, Rutland Water

Birdfair time already and this year me and my mom decided to go on a Friday. Well I decided actually as I booked us on an evening trip on the Rutland Belle in search of Ospreys. The show was, as usual, brilliant. Did all of the marquees twice, had a pint of Birdfair bitter (which is always very nice), and I met up with Alan Davies of The Biggest Twitch who I've known for about ten years now since I started birding at Conwy RSPB. Very nice couple and I will enjoy reading their book. I also decided to drop Birdnet for my pager service and go onto Rare Bird Alert. Oooh, check you. Dont know how to work the pager yet but I will one day get it sussed. At the end of the day we travelled to Whitwell where the Rutland Belle sails from. We boarded for a six o'clock departure (my mother had everything to keep her from seasick) and we headed to the Osprey areas. Our guide for the trip was Nick Baker of various things on TV. A very nice bloke, very witty and knowledgable. We cruised for about 1 and a half hours but the only Osprey sightings were of the nests in the distance with a very small blob on them. Not really a sighting. Other birds seen were Coot. Mallard, Cormorant, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Black-headed Gull, Common Tern, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Swallow, Canada Geese, Gadwall, Wood Pigeon, Wood Pigeon, Kestrel, Carrion Crow, Egyptian Geese, Mute SWan, Little Egret, Great Crested Grebe, Great Black-backed Gull, Grey Heron, Tufted Duck, Swift, Sand Martin, Shelduck and Dunlin. A top day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment