Saturday 28 August 2010

28-8-10, Blithfield Reservoir

I decided to head to Blithfield today. the site of some recent activity including Little Gulls and Spotted Redshanks. I dont visit here that much, its somewhere I dont really get excited about but I will keep trying, especially after today. Birds noted were Carrion Crow, Wood Pigeon, Jackdaw, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Swallow, Nuthatch, Robin, Wren from the car park to the first hide in Tad bay. Osprey, Teal, Mallard, Blach-headed Gull, Cormorant, Chaffinch, Canada Geese, Grey Heron, Great Crested Grebe, Tufted Duck, lesser Black-backed Gull, Dunnock, Chiffchaff, Redshank, Peregrine, Great Tit and Jay around Tad Bay. I then headed around the point and into Blythe bay were it was a little windy. I added Pied Wagtail, 6 Little egrets in the small pond, Goosander, Coot, Great Black-backed Gull and Blackbird. The major bonus today was the Osprey. My first, not only for this site but for Staffordshire. Watching the Peregrine was quite good as it hunted but not much fun for a lucky Redshank that was being chased by the top predator and twice ditched into the water to evade capture. The second time it just managed to get out of the water and escape the Peregrine. Nature is harsh.

28-8-10, circa Alrewas.

After some breakfsat I headed out for my rather long circular walk which takes in a few gravel pits. But on approaching Alrewas gravel pits, before I crossed the A38, I noticed a Hobby hunting in the back fields between Alrewas and Wychnor. Also present were Carrion Crow, 564 Lapwing, Starling and 3 Buzzards.

28-8-10, Alrewas GP.

I quick run over the A38 and I was at the gravel pit. I think this site is better first thing in the morning, and I was proven right. Birds noted were Blue Tit, Wood Pigeon, Swallow, Mute Swan, Starling, Mallard, Green Sandpiper, Tufted Duck, Coot, Long-tailed Tit, Robin, Wren, Black-headed Gull, Chaffinch, Canada Geese and Pied Wagtail. Not bad but it could be better. Will get here first thing tomorrow.

28-8-10, National Arboretum.

Another hop over a busy transport line, this time the train line, and I was in the National Arboretum. I usually head from the gate straight towards the Junction pit and see whats about but today I turned right and had a wander along the hedge along the train line. There is a small bunch of trees (could hardly call it a wood) and there are always birds here so I hung about a bit and noted Starling, Magpie, Swallow, carrion Crow, Wood Pigeon, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Goldfinch, Sparrowhawk and a real bonus, a Spotted Flycatcher. Cracking. I headed off towards the Junction Pit (see next site) and then headed out of the Arboretum. I added Sand Martin, Coot, Moorhen, Cormorant, Great Crested Grebe, Chaffinch, Reed Bunting and Canada Geese.
28-8-10, Junction Pit.

This site is attracting a lot of gulls of late but they are always easily frigthened here so I had to use stealth. yeah, right. Birds noted were Reed Bunting, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Black-headed Gull, Lapwing, Canada Geese, Goldfinch, snipe, Reed Warbler, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Wood Pigeon, Coot, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Great Crested Grebe.

28-8-10, Croxall Wides.
A quick visit here proved to be a bit pointless but you never know until youv'e tried. Birds noted were Canada Geese, Mute Swan and Coot. Deep joy.

28-8-10, Whitemoor haye.

From the arboretum it was over to Whitemoor Haye. The first thing to come across is the quarry pool and then me and the dog did the rough track before heading back to the village, rather tired. Birds noted were Carrion Crow, Mute Swan, Greenshank, Canada Geese, Pied Wagtail, Lesser Black-backed Gull, and Sand Martin around the pool. Swallow, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Starling, Yellow Wagtail, Linnet, Stock Dove, Blackbird, Tree Sparrow, Kestrel, Black-headed Gull, Buzzard and Magpie around the rest of the site. Very quiet.


28-8-10, Barton GP.

After a rest watching football, yep Derby messed up once again, and other stuff i slapped myself in order and headed out to Branston pits. This is an ace place and I just dont get here often enough. There are always loads of birds here as well as lots of Sloe berries for this years Sloe Gin. Come on. Birds noted were Wood Pigeon, Kestrel, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Dunnock, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Mallard, Swallow, Little Egret, Mute Swan, Gadwall, Canada Geese, Black-headed Gull, Greenshank, Pied Wagtail, Tufted Duck, Stock Dove, Teal, Goldfinch, Blackbird, Robin, Chaffinch, Greylag Geese, Buzzard, Moorhen, Sand Martin, Kingfisher, Lapwing, Grey Heron, Shelduck, Green Sandpiper, Rook, Green Woodpecker, Long-tailed Tit, Pheasant, Reed Bunting and a couple of Red-legged Partridge. Bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment