Monday 30 August 2010

30-8-10. Willington GP.

I have not been here for ages and there has been a Little Gull hanging around for some time now. I got there for seven and there were quite a few cars around. I have been here many times and the times I have come across multiples of birders here I can count on one hand. I bet this site was horrendous when the Whiskerd Terns turned up. I started up the track and there was a few peopl on platform one so I headed for platform three. Birds noted were Blackbird, Cormorant, Chiffchaff, Black-headed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Magpie, Blue Tit, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Common Tern, Lapwing, Mute SWan, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Tit, Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Gadwall, Tufted Duck and Kingfisher. Unfortunately the last 6 birds were viewed through the trees. The platform was being taken over by the big lens crew so no access was allowed. I didnt hang around as views were very limited and so I headed for the canal pit. On the way I managed to get on platforms one and two and added Blackcap, Snipe, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Teal, Shoveler, Carrion Crow, Goldfinch, Common Whitethroat and a Jay. Whilst on the way to the canal pit a birder came passed and told me a Spotted Redshank had just been found on the canal pit. Superb. I got to the pit and, at first was unable to locate the bird. Then a birder who had got it put me on to it. Fantastic. The light levels were not brilliant, bright sun but at a rubbish angle, plus a small heat haze. I could see the birds but not sure of the plummage. I looked like it was just going out of summer plumage as it was a dark bird but the legs were a bright orangy red. A cracking bird. This was then joined by a Greenshank. Other birds noted were House Martin, Starling, Chaffinch, Swallow, Sand Martin, Little Grebe, Pied Wagtail, Common Sandpiper and Pochard. News started coming through of a possible juvenile Citrine wagtail at Ogston reservoir which was not too far. A quality bird for the area and a would be lifer for me. A birder I was with was off to see it but the top birder that I am said it would turn out to be a Yellow Wagtail. How wrong I turned out to be. With the family do yesterday I missed out on the Kentish Plover. I also missed the Franklins Gull at Chasewater. Now I blanked the possible Citrine Wagtail. Three very easily twitchable lifers.

30-8-10, Alrewas GP.

I headed home and had a brunch and a sit down as I was quite knackered. After a couple of hours watching rubbish on TV I looked at the dog, she looked at me, the tail started wagging so I decided to have another of my pit walks. That will finish both of us off. A sprint over the A38 (believe that and you will believe anything) and I was safely on Alrewas gravel pit land. Birds noted were Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Wren, Wood Pigeon, Long-tailed Tit, kestrel, Starling, Carrion Crow, Black-headed Gull, Pied Wagtail, Chiffchaff, lesser Whitethroat, Magpie, Collared Dove, Common Whitethroat, Green Sandpiper, Robin, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Lapwing and Buzzard.

30-8-10, National Arboretum.

Over to the arboretum and I had a look for the Spotted Flycatcher I found on Saturday. It was not there. In fact there was not much around. The arboretum was very busy an I was getting the odd strange look as I walked around with my scope on my back and the dog by my side. Birds noted were Wood Pigeon, Magpie, Cormorant, Lapwing, Swallow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Pied Wagtail, Mallard, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Carrion Crow, Common Whitethroat, Black-headed Gull, Robin, Wren and Kestrel.

30-8-10, Junction Pit.

The usual visit to this pit and there were plenty of birds on it but not many species. Birds noted were Black-headed Gull, Lapwing, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Starling, Snipe, mallard, Teal, Long-tailed Tit, Tufted Duck and Canada Geese. There was a good number of gull, about 600 mixed birds, and about 200 Lapwing.

30-8-10, Croxall Wides.

A quick visit to the wides produced very little. Canada Geese, Mute Swan, Coot, Cormorant and a couple of Pied Wagtails. There was a Little Egret standing in a tree but a bit more onto the scrapes than the wides at Croxall.

30-8-10, Whitemoor Haye.

It was getting on for late afternoon. I was pretty knackered but I woddled off around Whitemoor. First the lake then the rough track. Birds noted were Pied Wagtail, Robin, Buzzard, Swallow, Blue Tit, Jackdaw, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Black-headed Gull, mallard, Carrion Crow, Grey Heron, Tufted Duck, Kestrel, Great Crested Grebe, Canada Geese, Greylag Geese, Greenshank, Wood Pigeon, Sand Martin, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Greenfinch, Linnet, Tree Sparrow, Whimbrel (year tick), Blackbird, Herring Gull, Yellowhammer, Rook, Great Tit, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Corn Bunting, Common Whitethroat, Chaffinch, Stock dove, Wren and a nice end to the day with a single Wheatear. The single Whimbrel was in a field with loads of gulls. I couldn't tell at first what it was as it flew off away and over the back lake but it did make a call. On getting home a checked a cd and was 99% sure it was a Whimbrel and not a Curlew.
Next weekend I am fishing in the WICAC (waterways industry course angling championships) so no birding. maybe the Sunday I will be out, not sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment