Friday 6 August 2010

6-8-10, Croxall GP.

A few weeks ago I was using my car at work and as I was driving through a grassy field, a tree stump ran in front of the car. It broke my front bumper and a couple of things fell off underneath. These were picked up and I managed to get home. A new bumper was bought (very cheapily too) and currently my car is in lots of bits in the yard at home. To get the front bumper off, many things also had to come off, then try the new bumper to make sure it fits before going off to be sprayed. My plan was to replace the old bumper until the new one was ready sometime next week but the hassle of putting everything back on then, a couple of days later, taking it all off again. The rear bumper is also having a few repairs. Whats this all about? Conclusion. I have no car. Bloody long winded way of telling you but there you go. My main job for today was working on the back bumper but before this I had to do some birding. Im not the biggest fan of Summer and birding in June and July is usually sparse. However, something kicks in in August and I start getting excited. Birds are on the nove again. Breeding waders are moving from the breeding grounds to their wintering grounds. Seabirds are doing the same. warblers are preparing to head out and the juveniles are a lot more showy. theres also the attraction of rarities being blown off course. Take today, lots of Shearwater and Skua species on the move and a Bairds Sandpiper in Nottingham. Doh, no car.
I headed for Croxall hoping to see no fishermen or dog walkers. I was in luck and the birding wasn't bad either. Birds noted on the main side were Wren, Goldfinch, Buzzard, Jackdaw, Grey Heron, Great Tit, Carrion Crow, Blue Tit, Wood Pigeon, Blackbird, Blackcap, Mallard, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Common Tern 6, Reed Warbler, Magpie, Mute Swan, Lapwing, Moorhen, Common Sandpiper 6+, Ringed Plover 6+, Starling, Canada Geese, Yellow Wagtail 2 juveniles, a Peregrine attacking the waders, Dunlin 2, a singing Chiffchaff, and a Robin. Over to the east side and I added Rook, Kestrel, Kingfisher, Chaffinch, 1 Little Egret, and a Stock Dove over. Back on the main side I added Common Whitethroat, Treecreeper, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Cormorant over.

6-8-10, Whitemoor Haye.

There were a few drops of rain in the air but I headed to Whitemoor Haye. A scan at the lake produced Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Mallard, Linnet, Great Crested Grebe, Swallow, Wood Pigeon, Sand Martin, Swift and Carrion Crow. With the weather not much better I carried on around the rough track before heading home. I added Tree Sparrow, Goldfinch, Pied Wagtail, Blue Tit, Kestrel, Dunnock and Rook. Not the best ever birding day but better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment