Sunday 12 September 2010

12-9-10, Croxall GP.

No birding yesterday (Saturday). I live with my parents, still, in a big old house and we are changing the antiquated heating system so Imy job was to clean out a load of sheds for storage and then get the carpet up in my bedroom. I am also on call for work so I can't go far anyway. I was up early this morning and I headed off on my bike and headed for Croxall to find some waders. Birds noted were Chiffchaff, Grey Heron, Black-headed Gull, Chaffinch, Wren, Magpie, Long-tailed Tit, Pied Wagtail, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Robin, Goldfinch, Coot, Mallard, Moorhen, Greylag Geese, Carrion Crow, Rook, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Lapwing, Blackbird, Reed Bunting, Blue Tit, Cormorant, Swallow, Great Tit, Canada Geese, Mute Swan, Shoveler, Greenfinch and Teal. These were both seen and heard on the main side and fron the main hide. I then headed under the railway line to the east side. The hedgerow along the railway line is usually great for warblers fueling up to head to their wintering grounds. Today is was a quiet and I only noted Common Whitethroat and Dunnock. Other birds noted on this side were Redshank, Jay, Starling and Sparrowhawk. Back out of the reserve and I added Lesser Black-backed Gull, Kestrel, Jackdaw and 2 Little Egrets flying over towards Whitemoor Haye. Nice.

12-9-10, Whitemoor Haye.

Next stop was the usual Whitemoor. I stopped at the pool to begin with before heading around the rough track and then back home. Birds noted around the pool were Mute Swan, Swallow Tufted Duck, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Black-headed Gull, Jackdaw and Carrion Crow. Quiet really so I headed off around the roads. Birds added were Robin, Tree Sparrow, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Starling, Stock Dove, Meadow Pipit, Goldfinch, Magpie, Canada Geese, Blue Tit, Reed Bunting, Grey Partridge, Linnet, Skylark and Chaffinch. Not the best of visits but thats the way it goes.

12-9-10, Alrewas GP.

In between the grand prix and the Sunday afternoon footy matchI decided to head out to the nearby gravel pit rather than sit and watch rubbish. It was a bit windy but I perserveared and was rewarded immediately. On entering the land I quickly found a smart Spotted Flycatcher. A first for me on this site. Other birds noted were Long-tailed Tit, Blue and Great Tit, Black-headed Gull, Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Swallow, a smart Hobby (another site first I think) I was right under it as it was flying around the sewage works, Wood Pigeon, Carrion Crow, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Great Crested Grebe, Wren, Collared Dove, Chiffchaff, Blackbird, Canada Geese, Lapwing and Starling. I managed to get a few phots of the Spotted Flycatcher, again on my phone. I must carry my proper camera with me again.


Sorry the photos are not much quality.

Next Saturday I am booked on the Yorkshire Belle to look for skuas and shearwaters. I booked this about 4 months ago. Unfortunately I have a volunteer group working on the Saturday afternoon. As it is my job to look after volunteers I have to accompany them therefore I am going to have to miss the trip. Well gutted, but it doesnt end there. I have booked a week off in early October for my annual trip to Norfolk. I now have to go to my house in Wales and decorate it as it is not selling in its current state. Its not in a bad state, just needs a tickle. I absolutely detest painting but thats the way it goes. My year list for this year is going to be rubbish. With my job, the next day off is on October 3rd so the birding will be a bit thin on the ground for the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment