Saturday 25 September 2010

24-9-10, Willington GP.

With all of my extra curricular work I had a few hours owing me. I had booked today off but I decided to go in in the morning and have the afternoon off. Then I had a meeting at 13.00 at Willington. I decided to go in my own car, do the meeting and then headed for Willington. I have been wanting to come here for ages as a Pectoral Sandpiper has been present for some days but Ive been on call for two weeks. This would be a nice bird to get after getting mt first ever last year. I arrived on site and decided to head straight to the canal scrape. Birds noted were Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Long-tailed Tit, Mallard, Swallow, Coot, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Tufted Duck, Cormorant, Little Grebe, Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Teal, carrion Crow, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Linnet, Buzzard, Ruddy Duck, Wood Pigeon, Common Sandpiper, Greenshank, Starling, Ruff (year tick) and a couple of Stock Dove. No sign of the Pectoral Sandpiper. It was seen in the morning but reported as illusive, and so it proved. A chap who was there reported a Black-necked Grebe. I had a good look and asked where he saw it. "Out there somewhere" was the reply!!! Hmmm. From the scrape I headed for the platforms with said chap it tow. I added Moorhen, Wigeon, Lapwing, Little egret, Shoveler, Reed Bunting, Canada Geese, Grey heron, Lesser Black-backed Gull and Kestrel. A nice afternoons birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment