Monday 23 May 2011

23-5-11, Night Heron.

This bird has left me with a bit of a dilemma. I have been reading about this bird on the pager and internet and at first it was looking good. My fishing match on Saturday was only ten minutes away so I planned to go on Saturday but as the week got on the bird was only using the area to roost and it came in and left the roost at erratic times. Having never seen one, did I want only brief views of one flying over??? During the fishing match I had my pager and it was very quiet for a Saturday, with very little news anywhere. I decided to head over to Earlswood Lake after the fishing, a quick chat with some birders who said no sign today so I carried on home. It was seen later about 20.15. A bit of a tricky decision as it is a bit of a drive through lots of traffic then a good walk from where you park the car to where the birders are congregating. I was going this morning early but something stopped me and with no news it was proberbly the right decision.

Kingsbury Water Park.

I am on holiday for a week but on Friday I left my mobile phone at work. To be honest it was quite nice not to have to worry about always having it. I picked it up first thing this morning and then decided to head to Kingsbury Water Park as I need a Turtle Dove for the year and I had one here a couple of years ago. Worth a go anyway. Agood couple of hours birding got me Mallard, Moorhen, Starling, Canada Geese, Black Headed Gull, Collared Dove, Chaffinch, Tufted Duck, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Carrion Crow, Blackbird, Pied Wagtail, Woodpigeon, Mute Swan, Swallow, Wren, Garden Warbler, Swift, Robin, Blue Tit, Sand Martin, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Reed Warbler, Skylark, Willow Warbler, Common Tern, Jackdaw, Great Tit, Shelduck, Gadwall, Sedge Warbler, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Little Ringed Plover, Magpie and Cuckoo. Good couple of hours but no Turtle Dove. It was very windy and if any were present I wouldnt have heard them.

Some of you might think why Kingsbury and not the new RSPB reserve. Well I am taking my mother there on Tuesday for the morning. Really looking forward to it.

Whitemoor Haye .

After some breakfast I collected the dog and we headed around the lanes at Whitemoor Haye. It was incredibly windy around here and, as it turned out, the birding was going to prove a bit tough. Birds noted around the lanes were Tree Sparrow, Woodpigeon, Swift, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Swallow, Carrion Crow, Corn Bunting, Skylark, lapwing, Linnet, Stock Dove, Goldfinch, Reed Bunting, Pheasant, Black Headed Gull, Common Whitethroat, Mallard, Hobby, Yellowhammer, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Shelduck and a Kestrel. The Hobby was first picked up by another birder who tried to shout me as I was listening out for Quail in the winds with no success. I couldnt hear him but he told me a couple of minutes later as he drove past and then the bird appeared over the pits before flying past the microlight sheds. Great views. On to the pool and I added Redshank, Greylag Geese, Canada Geese, Tufted Duck and Coot. Not brilliant and it was almost impossible due to the very strong cross wind, I couldnt hold the scope still.

Croxall GP.

I couldnt ignore this place after recent weeks although the weekend reports were not too promising. The reported Temminks Stint would have been a great bird for the site and county but no reports of it since it was see (or imagined!!!). Anyway as I had the dog I could only do main side so it was up the track to the hide, a brief look over the gate then back to the car. Birds noted were 7 Oystercatcher, Canada Geese, Tufted Duck, Swift, Blue Tit, Dunnock, Reed Warbler, Black Headed Gull, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Mute Swan, Lapwing, Mallard, 11 summer plumaged Dunlin, Gadwall, 3 Ringed Plover, 3 Redshank, Shelduck, Cormorant, Pheasant, Swallow, Willow Warbler, Linnet, Rook, Blackbird, Blackcap, Chaffinch, Sedge Warbler and Great Tit. Same as Whitemoor number wise, with the wind making the birds keeping there heads down and as I walked back to the car the rains came. Good timing.

Just booked myself into a pub in Norfolk for a couple of nights so heading down to Camebridge on Wednesday moring for a few birds before heading to the pub.. Mmmm, Woodfordes Wherry straight out of the barrel, superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment