Sunday 8 May 2011

7-5-11, circa Findern.

I have a volunteer group who are based around Findern and they wanted me to do a dawn chorus walk but a bit later. I agreed and we all met up at 05.00 in Findern village. We did a walk down to the canal, along the canal and then back to the village. I was expecrting the worse, weather wise, when as I got into my van to get to Findern there was a bright flash followed very quickly by and imense rumble, thunder and lightening. Fortunately that was the first and last of it and we got around the walk in lovely warm sunshine. Birds noted were Chiffchaff, Robin, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Wren, Buzzard, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Common Whitethroat, Skylark, Willow Warbler, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Pied Wagtail, Magpie, Mallard, Grey Partridge, Collared Dove, Peregrine, Goldfinch, House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Starling, Moorhen, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Garden Warbler, Reed Bunting and Blackcap. A very pleasant early morning walk followed by a nice breakfast put on by the group. Whilst eating the breakfast a text message had me eating up and heading to Croxall pits.

Croxall GP.

I was working all day and a very interesting text gave me ten minutes in the hide before I had to go to work. A Spotted Redshank in full summer plumage had been located from the main hide. I hgave seen a few Spotshanks before but only in winter or partial summer plumage so I was keen to get a look. It would also be a nice year tick too. With a little speed I was soon on site and in the hide. The Spotshank was still present and was a cracker. Other birds noted were Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Mute Swan, Canada Geese, Long-tailed Tit, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Little Ringed Plover, Great Crested Grebe, Black-headed Gull, Dunlin, Cormorant, Ringed Plover, Magpie, Grey Heron and Blackcap. A nice bonus for the day but its work time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment