Friday 27 May 2011

27-5-11, Swanton Novers NNR.

It was time to head home so I deicded to visit a couple of sites on the way home but first I wanted another go at looking for Honey Buzzards. Swanton Novers raptop watchpoint is near to Great Ryburgh but the birds here are a lot trickier to see however they had been seen the previous day in the morning so I was slightly optomistic. Birds noted during two hours here were Pheasant, Skylark, Common Whitethroat, Sparrowhawk, Woodpigeon, Chaffinch, Carrion Crow, Goldfinch, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Yellowhammer, Swift, Linnet, Swallow and Black Headed Gull. Again another no show but thats birding I'm afraid.

Welney Wildfowl Trust.

I decided to have a look around this reserve. For sometime now a cracking White-spotted Bluethroat had been present. I had no news of this bird for sometime but I wasn't getting much news out of my pager anyway but it was worth a look. Birds noted were Goldfinch, Pheasant, Reed Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Swallow, Wren, Mallard, Lapwing, Avocet, Woodpigeon, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Great Tit, House Martin, Shelduck, Coot, Pochard, Little Ringed Plover, Pied Wagtail, Swift, Reed Bunting, Sedge Warbler, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Black Headed Gull, Starling, Black-tailed Godwit, Jackdaw, Mute Swan, Snipe, Whooper Swan, Little Egret, Corn Bunting, Blue Tit, Cuckoo and Grey Heron. Although I was not expecting to see the Bluethroat, I actually missed it by twenty seconds. I was walking up the path and was twenty metres from a small group when they started looking through their bins and then started waving me. A quick look through my bins got me nothing so I broke into a small jog but as I reached the group the bird flew away. Thats not the end of the story though as yet another caravan on the way to Welnet drove at 35 miles an hour along the roads and wouldnt let cars get passed. Thats two birds this year that I have missed due to caravans. Nuff said.

Rutland Water.

I didnt want to get stuck in bank holiday traffic so I headed to Rutland Water to spend a few hours before heading home early evening. I started in the Lyndon reserve with the main aim being seeing Osprey. Birds noted were Swift, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Dunnock, Sedge Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Blackbird, Mute Swan, Coot, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Red-legged Partridge, Robin, Chiffchaff, Carrion Crow, Great Tit, Hobby, Woodpigeon, Sand Martin, Shelduck, Lapwing, Osprey, Swallow, Mallard, Great Crested Grebe, House Martin, Egyptian Geese, Jackdaw, Black Headed Gull, Tufted Duck, Common Tern, Pied Wagtail, Goldeneye, Gadwall and Moorhen. From Lyndon it was on to theEgleton reserve and I added Rook, Ringed Plover, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Dunlin, Wigeon, Sanderling, Greylag Geese, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Wren, Magpie, Song Thrush, Shoveler, Little Egret, Canada Geese, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Long-tailed Tit. Not bad but I was dissapointed not to have seen the Temminks Stint that was on Lagoon 4 from the Dunlin hide. I was in there ages but failed to connect with it. After Rutland it was home time and the end of my mini trip to Norflok and back. It was a good trip with lots of good birds and I managed plenty of photos too. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment