Friday 1 April 2011

1-4-11, Whitemoor Haye.

I finished work a bit earlier today so it was off to Whitemoor Haye for a it of local patch birding and I was in for a bit of a surprise. It was quite windy, especially as most of the trees and hedges have been ripped out whilst the diggers were cleaning out the ditches. I headed off around the lanes and noted the following. Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Robin, Woodpigeon, Wren, Great Tit, Blackbird, Tree Sparrow, Carrion Crow, Lapwing, Pied Wagtail, Starling, Black-headed Gull, Mute Swan 16, Mallard, Stock Dove, Grey Partridge 2, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Skylark, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Pheasant, Magpie, Kestrel, Buzzard and Corn Bunting. There were loads of Black-headed Gulls were following the various tractors that were planting the various crops and I decided to have a scan to see if there was anything different within them and I was staggered to find 2 Mediterranean Gulls resting with half of the other gulls. Bloody hell yet another site tick as well as a year tick. I sent a couple of texts, including one to my mother as she has never seen one before and she came out to see it (thats the Mothers Day present sorted), one to another mate and a phone call to rare bird alert. A quick look at the quarry pool got me Redshank, Tufted Duck, Oystercatcher, Greylag Geese and Chiffchaff. Its not looking good for Quail at Whitemoor this year. The farmer has been busy planting this years crop and the majority is potato with at least one field of rape. I was also disappointed to see the tractors starting work in the field between Sittles Farm and the rough track. In here there must be at least 20 pairs of Lapwings and several pairs of Skylarks looking to set up nests. One tractor was starting to lime yesterday and another was driving around the edge but I couldn't see what he was doing. 1-4-11, Croxall GP. I then headed for Croxall and as I had my dog with me I could only bird the main pool. From the car park it was straight up to the hide and then back again. Birds noted were Goldfinch, Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Chiffchaff, Song Thrush, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Redshank, Mallard, Teal, Goldeneye, Shelduck, Lapwing, Snipe, Canada Geese, Oystercatcher, Gadwall, Dunnock, Ringed Plover, Caffinch, Pheasant, Moorhen, Wren, Reed Bunting, Blue Tit, Swallow, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Cormorant, Greylag Geese, Great Crested Grebe and Long-tailed Tit. I was on site until at least 19.50 and had good numbers of Swallow flying through including several groups of 30-40 birds chirping away as they flew along. Welcome back.

No comments:

Post a Comment