Thursday 28 April 2011

28-4-11, The Big Dipper!!!!!

Tetney Lock

I had yet another day off work, awoke about 4am, wondered what to do and decided to go and mop up a few birds around Lincolnshire. I found myself at Tetney Lock just before 7am, was reading a few instructions off rare bird alert when another birder joined me and he knew the area, bit of a bonus. We then proceded to walk a good walk in order to find the area where the Tawny Pipit had been showing. I was lucky I was disoganised and not cleaned my car out as it was bloody freezing and blowing a gail but I had my coat in the car still, shame about no hat and gloves, seriously it was bloomin cold. On the way to the lock I had a major bonus in seeing only my second Dotteral in my pathetic birding career so far. In fact there was seven of them. Back to the pipit and we scoured a large area for ages, being joined by several disgruntled birders. Myself and the chap then headed back along the canal to look at some sugar beet piles before I carried onto the car. Five minutes later I heard a slight noise, looked around and the chap was waving frantically. I turned and burned, well limped really, up to him. He had seen it on the sugar beet. We had a good sesarch along with an ever increasing group of birders but the bird didn't show. Eventually I was too cold and leg sore (groin strain in left leg, bad foot on right) so headed to the car. Other birds noted were Mute Swan, Sedge Warbler, Wren, Woodpigeon, Corn Bunting, Carrion Crow, Swallow, Kestrel, Short-eared Owl (another bonus), Shelduck, Cormorant, Yellow Wagtail, Skylark, Wheatear, Collared Dove, Linnet, Moorhen, Mallard, Cuckoo, Magpie, Chaffinch, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Goldfinch, Starling, Common Whitethroat and Tufted Duck.

Ruthland.

I decided to give my injuries a rest for a bit so I drove for 30 minutes or so to Ruthland just south of Louth. If the Tawny Pipit showed again I wouldnt be far away. A juvenile White-tailed Eagle has showing around Ruthland a fair while. I arrived and the glum faces said it all. No sign all morning. I hung around for about an hour with still no sign. Then the pager sprang into life, Collared Pratincole at Immingham. I was off.

Rosper Road Pools NR.

The hour or so drive was made miserable for the fact I was on bendy roads stuck behind a bloody caravan. This turned out to be critical. I arrived at at the small pools as everyone was looking into the skies. It had just flown off. Aaaaaargh. Feeling hungry and thirsty I span around and visited a garage nearby for some food and drink. As I was leaving the garage a bird flew over which I had never seen and couldnt id it. I stopped got my bins on it, got only a quick view before it flew out of sight and I am 99% sure it was the Collared Pratincole but that was not good enough to be sure so it doesnt enter my black book. I turned up on site, chatted to someone who said it flew in the area of the garage so was a great possibility. I will never know. I hung around for about an hour and a half before getting fed up. Birds noted were Common Whitethroat, Mute Swan, Swallow, Mallard, Coot, Starling, Goldfinch, Wooidpigeon, Pheasant, Willow Warbler, Magpie, Reed Bunting, Lapwing and Pochard. Feeling disgruntled I headed home as no news of any other birds had come through.

Whitemoor Haye.

Two hours later I was on the quarry pool at Whitemoor Haye. News had come through that the Tawny Pipit was showing. Grrrrr. I had a quick look around the pool as I couldn't walk much. Birds noted were Robin, Carrion Crow, Blackbird, Tufted Duck, Common Tern, Yellowhammer, Mallard, Swallow, Blackcap, Pheasant, Lapwing, Goldfinch, Greylag Geese, Redshank, Wren, Canada Geese, Skylark, Oystercatcher, Chiffchaff, Common Whitethroat, Chaffincg, Jackdaw, Linnet and Willow Warbler. Not bad considering I was in the same place for half an hour. Feeling a bit tired I then went home and read the Pratincole was back and the eagle was showing well!!!!! Pub me thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment