Monday 18 April 2011

18-4-11, Cannock Chase.

I decided to spend the morning on the chase at various sites. First site will remain undisclosed for reasons which will become obvious. I didn't know how the Dartford Warblers had faired over the harsh winter but I had heard they were at this certain site so my main job was to find them. Birds noted at this site were Jackdaw, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Rook, Robin, Blackbird, Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Linnet, Stonechat, Pheasant, Green Woodpecker, Reed Bunting, Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Dartford Warbler, Coal Tit, Dunnock and a couple of calling Cuckoo's. Some people might be annoyed that I have mentioned Dartford Warblers and Cannock Chase in the same sentance but its a big place. Not long ago I was hunting for a certain bird and a group of birders were openly talking about this certain site and exactly where to find the Dartford Warblers down to almost the exact tree and I was at least thirty feet away from this group. If I was an egg collector I would have known where to go straight away. Loose tongues!! I have mentioned no more than what you could learn by googling it. Next site was Punchbowl carpark. I long walk around the area and birds noted were Great Tit, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Wren, Willow Warbler, Robin, Woodpigeon, Chiffchaff, Buzzard, Redstart, Green Woodpecker, Long-tailed Tit, Nuthatch, calling Cuckoo, Tawny Owl hooting away nearby, Tree Pipit, Great Tit, Blackcap and Blackbird. A pleasant walk with a few birds to note. On to the last site for the morning, Sheerbrook Valley. Birds noted were Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Robin, Treecreeper, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Song Thrush, Cuckoo, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Willow Warbler, Skylark, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow and Green Woodpecker. Not too many birds here but I was mainly hoping for Cuckoo which I found and Grasshopper Warbler which I didn't see or hear. A good morning all in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment