Monday 18 April 2011

18-4-11, Branston GP.

I was due to take a tree down for one of my Dads mates so I was home at lunchtime. However it was postponed so I was thinking where I could go in the afternoon and Branston pits came to mind. I was a bit dubious about going there at first as it is a working pit so I would have to stick to the public footpaths (which I always do!!!). I decided to go and it was a great decision. I turned up and set off for the main lake before walking to the middle lake and then the sandy pit. Birds noted were Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Carrion Crow, Stock Dove, Blackbird, Wren, Yellowhammer, Common Whitethroat, 5 Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Skylark, Pheasant, Coot, Mallard, Canada Geese, Black-headed Gull and in with these was a single Little Gull, superb, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Lapwing, Gadwall, Teal, Kestrel, Oystercatcher, Long-tailed Tit, Buzzard, Dunnock, Chiffchaff, Cormorant, Rook, Jackdaw, Great Tit, Sand Martin, Shelduck, Teal, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Pied Wagtail, Reed Bunting, Blackcap, Greylag Geese, Green Woodpecker, Ringed Plover, a pair of Mandarin Ducks, Wigeon, Grey Partridge and Swallow. Not a bad afternoons birding. The Little Gull was a great find for myself and my first proper Staffs Little Gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment