Tuesday 26 April 2011

25-4-11, Attenborough NR.


Today I was going to chill out a bit more and just do a bit of birding. It actually turned out that I spent half the afternoon in Lichfield in the pubs. A pleasant Bank Holiday afternoon.

I headed for Attenborough as I was meant to go somewhere else. Still with me? I was going to Long Eaton GP as some Black Terns were present on the Sunday and a Whinchat the day before. I have been here before when I came to see Woodchat Shrike. I followed the directions and drove under a barrier to a dead end. I am sure last time I drove down a lane and there were pools on the right and left as I came to see Ring-necked Duck. Not really knowing where I was (Trent Washlands was on an old notice board) I decided to head to Attenborough to try my luck. Birds noticed were Common Whitethroat, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Mallard, Canada Geese, Mute Swan, Carrion Crow, Tufted Duck, Sand Martin, Woodpigeon, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Black-headed Gull, Wren, Garganey, Green Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Grey Heron, Gadwall, Blue Tit, Moorhen, Long-tailed Tit, Grasshopper Warbler, tree Sparrow, Reed Bunting, Pheasant, Common Tern, Magpie, Chiffchaff, Greenfinch, Blackcap, Shelduck, Jackdaw, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Song Thrush, Great Tit, Starling, Sparrowhawk, Mistle Thrush, Willow Warbler, Egyptian Geese and Robin. A pleasant few hours spent here plus a bit of photography too. Pheasant playing hide and seek


Garganey taken in rubbish light - photographers number one excuse.



Greylag Goose!!!!


Juvenile Grey Heron, one of many around



An adult Grey Heron playing hide and seek with the Pheasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment